Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Scaled Eigenmodes as Initial Conditions in transient FSI simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have tried to find the answer to this question in these forums with no avail:

Suppose we have a simple beam system with arbitrary boundary conditions, let's say fixed-fixed for this example. I can easily calculate the eigenmodes of the structure using Comsol.

What I'd like to do is take that beam system, submerge it in fluid, and use the scaled eigenmodes of the (in vacuum) system as a initial conditions for a transient FSI simulation. For example, one might take the first transverse eigenmode and use that shape as an initial velocity condition, scaled such that the maximum velocity was some chosen constant. The resulting transient FSI simulation would yield a damped ringdown of the structure in the first eigenmode. How does one accomplish this? I cannot find any information in the manuals or this site.

Could somebody help me out?

Thank you!

0 Replies Last Post Oct 17, 2013, 1:00 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ryan Tung

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.