Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solving Pooisson/Laplace Equation for Multi-Electrode Array

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,
Iḿ trying to use Comsol to solve the laplace equation within a 3-D space.
This 3D space is limitted by a block of 8000x8000x500um.
The Top-Plane xy,500 should be at ground (V=0V).
The potentials at the side (x,4000,z), (x,-4000,z), (4000,y,z),(-4000,y,z) should form a zero-flux boundary with dV/dn=0.

on the electrodes with diameter D/2 and spacing S there should be a current flowing with dV/dn=i/(pi*(D/2)^2).

I build this within the attached model.
The solver cannot solve this problem. Iḿ getting an error that the threshold is reached.
Could anyone help please?

It is also possible that I did some error within the boundary definition or the choice of the physics.
If there could anyone check I would be really greatful.

kind regards

1 Reply Last Post Nov 5, 2013, 5:56 a.m. EST
Bettina Schieche COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 5, 2013, 5:56 a.m. EST
Dear Ms. Rieger,

I had a quick glance at your model and noticed that you did not use "Constraint 1" correctly. Please have a look at the equation, which reads "R=0". So, in order to achieve u=0, you need to enter your dependend variable "u" in the expression field for "R". Maybe the "Dirichlet Boundary Condition" is more intuitive for you.

Best regards
Bettina Schieche
Dear Ms. Rieger, I had a quick glance at your model and noticed that you did not use "Constraint 1" correctly. Please have a look at the equation, which reads "R=0". So, in order to achieve u=0, you need to enter your dependend variable "u" in the expression field for "R". Maybe the "Dirichlet Boundary Condition" is more intuitive for you. Best regards Bettina Schieche

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.