Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

transformer model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I am very new to COMSOL, thats why I ask for so basic things. I am going to do simply transformer model with radiation. Firstly I did the model in Inventor. But i have many errors during meshing. My question is whether my model is done wrong or i should not mesh it automatically but in another way?

Second question what type of physics should I use? My idea is to set the temperature of core then set parameters of materials and oil and and notice the temperature distribution in oil? Is that possible at all?

It it had work out, then I would add radiation system to my model.

Please, help:)

Best regards

1 Reply Last Post Nov 25, 2013, 8:49 a.m. EST
Hanna Gothäll COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 25, 2013, 8:49 a.m. EST
Dear Bolesław,

Firstly I did the model in Inventor. But i have many errors during meshing. My question is whether my model is done wrong or i should not mesh it automatically but in another way?

The geometry looks alright. If you check the Mesh warning nodes, you can see that you have small details in your geometry which are not resolved by the Normal mesh size. For further information on this warning, please refer to the following section in the documentation:

COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual > Meshing > Free Meshing > Troubleshooting Free Tetrahedral Mesh Generation

For example, the thin solid layer around the whole geometry is 3 mm so you would probably want to decrease the mesh size so that the parameter Minimum Element Size is about 3 mm.

For further recommendations on how to mesh this geometry more efficiently and for suggested physics settings, I strongly recommend that you contact COMSOL Support.

Best regards,

Hanna Gothäll
COMSOL Support
Dear Bolesław, [QUOTE] Firstly I did the model in Inventor. But i have many errors during meshing. My question is whether my model is done wrong or i should not mesh it automatically but in another way? [/QUOTE] The geometry looks alright. If you check the Mesh warning nodes, you can see that you have small details in your geometry which are not resolved by the Normal mesh size. For further information on this warning, please refer to the following section in the documentation: COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual > Meshing > Free Meshing > Troubleshooting Free Tetrahedral Mesh Generation For example, the thin solid layer around the whole geometry is 3 mm so you would probably want to decrease the mesh size so that the parameter Minimum Element Size is about 3 mm. For further recommendations on how to mesh this geometry more efficiently and for suggested physics settings, I strongly recommend that you contact COMSOL Support. Best regards, Hanna Gothäll COMSOL Support

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.