Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modelling magnetic field for capacitor.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am working on the project of the capacitor. Recently I have succesfully simulated electric field but now I would like to simulate magnetic field and I unfortunatelly have no idea how to make it.

My capacitor is build with two parallel plates with dielectric between them. Model is placed in air.

I would be most grateful if you could guide me how to solve this problem.

P.S: Sorry, for my bad english. I'm still learning.

3 Replies Last Post Aug 6, 2014, 12:35 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 6, 2014, 1:45 a.m. EST
for magnetic field analysis you have to choose the stationary or time dependent based on your application.
you can see the tutorial file which is i enclosed here.It is easy to put the simulation for the magnetic field i.e magnetic flux density,potential,etc..

all the best
for magnetic field analysis you have to choose the stationary or time dependent based on your application. you can see the tutorial file which is i enclosed here.It is easy to put the simulation for the magnetic field i.e magnetic flux density,potential,etc.. all the best

Posted: 10 years ago Aug 4, 2014, 5:15 p.m. EDT
Hi,
I have exactly the same problem. Do you have more straight model or any basic help or advice? I just want to start it and actually I don't know even which module I should use.
I really appreciate your help.

Best,
Mohad
Hi, I have exactly the same problem. Do you have more straight model or any basic help or advice? I just want to start it and actually I don't know even which module I should use. I really appreciate your help. Best, Mohad

Posted: 10 years ago Aug 6, 2014, 12:35 p.m. EDT
I'm relatively new to comsol as well, so I probably can't answer this question directly, but support did recently point me to this blog post that might help out with questions of this nature:
www.comsol.com/blogs/computational-electromagnetics-modeling-which-module-to-use/

I'm thinking your answer is in the AC/DC Module, and that any of these interfaces might work:
AC/DC Module, Magnetic & Electric Fields Interface
AC/DC Module, Magnetic Fields Interface, Frequency Domain Solution (retains displacement current in equations)
Maybe the Electric Currents interface, as well.
Unfortunately, I ran into troubles in each case with getting sources/boundary conditions to work. Expect to stumble around for a while until you figure out how each interface likes to have its domains/boundaries/sources/etc. defined in both the materials and physics sections.

Also, I have no clue as to why Kumar attached an engineering master's report on fluid dynamics and heat transfer in response to the original question. Granted, that report does include magnetohydrodynamics which encompasses the necessary Maxwell's equations... but that doesn't seem very useful as a COMSOL tutorial for this far simpler problem.
I'm relatively new to comsol as well, so I probably can't answer this question directly, but support did recently point me to this blog post that might help out with questions of this nature: http://www.comsol.com/blogs/computational-electromagnetics-modeling-which-module-to-use/ I'm thinking your answer is in the AC/DC Module, and that any of these interfaces might work: AC/DC Module, Magnetic & Electric Fields Interface AC/DC Module, Magnetic Fields Interface, Frequency Domain Solution (retains displacement current in equations) Maybe the Electric Currents interface, as well. Unfortunately, I ran into troubles in each case with getting sources/boundary conditions to work. Expect to stumble around for a while until you figure out how each interface likes to have its domains/boundaries/sources/etc. defined in both the materials and physics sections. Also, I have no clue as to why Kumar attached an engineering master's report on fluid dynamics and heat transfer in response to the original question. Granted, that report does include magnetohydrodynamics which encompasses the necessary Maxwell's equations... but that doesn't seem very useful as a COMSOL tutorial for this far simpler problem.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.