Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coupling of Drift Diffusion and Heavy Species Transport Plasma

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I would like to simulate a cold plasma (Tritium ions/Electrons) in a tube in a high magnetic field. On one side of the tube there is a potential (some Volts) and on the side walls of the tube there is a slightly different potential. Of the other side of the tube the backround gas and the ions get absorbed, the electrons get reflected. There is no potential on this side of the tube.
Which plasma do I need to simulate this in COMSOL?
Seems like I need the DC Discharge but there is no Discharge between electrodes like this model seems to be constructed for. I tried the DC Discharge but there is a much to hich electron density and no saturation value for it which seems unphysically.
I already computed the potential inside the plasma without ions (I used the Drift Diffusion Plasma and Electro Statics), this worked but I need the effect oft he Tritium ions on the plasma. So is it possible to couple Drift Diffusion, Electrostatics and Heavy Species Transport?

Thanks
Laura

1 Reply Last Post Jan 14, 2014, 10:42 a.m. EST
Luke Gritter Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 14, 2014, 10:42 a.m. EST
Laura,

As far as I can tell by your description, the DC Discharge interface should contain everything you need for your model. Due to the complexity of plasma models, it would be difficult to guess the cause of the problem without seeing the file. If you can upload a file that produces the non-physical solution, I will take a look at it.

--
Luke Gritter
AltaSim Technologies
Laura, As far as I can tell by your description, the DC Discharge interface should contain everything you need for your model. Due to the complexity of plasma models, it would be difficult to guess the cause of the problem without seeing the file. If you can upload a file that produces the non-physical solution, I will take a look at it. -- Luke Gritter AltaSim Technologies

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.