Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Symmetry in heat transfer with surface to surface radiation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Comsol Users,

I'm working on a 3D model with heat transfer and surface to surface radiation, in which I make use of symmetry and calculate only one quarter of the problem. So I choose symmetry and diffuse mirror at the cut surfaces. So far so good.

The issue is that I don't want to calculate heat transfer by conduction in the transparent domain in the model (Radiation is dominating over conduction). I have tried workarounds as setting thermal conductivity to zero in the transparent domain or simply leaving it unmeshed (with mesh at the mirror surface only) but it annoys me that there's no "clean" solution to it.

Have you dealt with such problem? How did you solve it ?

Best regards
--
______
Flanell

2 Replies Last Post Feb 7, 2014, 6:41 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 7, 2014, 3:01 a.m. EST
Hello Flanell,

Surface to surface radiation desn't work with symmetry plane dixit Comsol hotline

Julien
Hello Flanell, Surface to surface radiation desn't work with symmetry plane dixit Comsol hotline Julien

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 7, 2014, 6:41 a.m. EST
Ok. Probably, thats why they did not simply call it symmetry cond. in rad.
Thank you Julien!

--
______
Flanell
Ok. Probably, thats why they did not simply call it symmetry cond. in rad. Thank you Julien! -- ______ Flanell

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.