Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Outlet boundary condition in PDE coefficient form

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi guys,

I'm trying to simulate the charge transport equation for 3 species (electron, positive and negative ion) using the PDE module coefficient form.

Here's my question, How can I simulate "outflow" boundary condition for any one of these species in the model?

From mathematical point of view, I understand that "Outflow" means Neumann boundary condition. The problem is, Neumann BC in "PDE coefficient form" couldn't be selected for each variable separately, in contrast to the Dirichlet BC which gives us the choice for choosing the variable on any boundary .

It seems to me that the only solution for this problem is to have 3 coefficient form modules, one for each species. I think there should be easier way for this problem.

Any suggestion is appreciated. Version: 4.3a

Regards,
Peyman.

2 Replies Last Post Jan 9, 2015, 9:14 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 12, 2014, 5:19 p.m. EST
One additional comment,

I believe the Neumann BC is implemented by "Zero flux" BC in the software.
One additional comment, I believe the Neumann BC is implemented by "Zero flux" BC in the software.

Posted: 10 years ago Jan 9, 2015, 9:14 a.m. EST
Hi, did you solve the problem?

I am having the same "issue".

Thanks
Hi, did you solve the problem? I am having the same "issue". Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.