Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electromagnetic actuator with movable permanent magnet

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm trying to solve an multiphysics problem.
The main geometry parts in the model are two solenoid coils with ferromagnetic core and one cylindrical permanent magnet(PM) which is movable between the coils. The system has two stable position - Position-1(the PM is lying over the ferromagnetic core of coil 1) and Position-2(the PM is lying over the ferromagnetic core of coil 2). When the coils are powered, the PM is going from Position-1 to Position-2.
In the Comsol model I have four physics coupled together - Magnetic Field, El.Circuit, Solid Mechanics and Moving Mesh.
I'm trying to find how is changing current in the coils, while the permanent magnet is moving from Position-1 to Position-2., but the results are not as expected. Something in the model is missing.
Attached PDF file has additional info. Here is short animation: www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKnof4b2X7A
As can be seen from the animation, it's look like the permanent magnet doesn't stop at the end positions and is going through the ferromagnetic core of the coil and oscillating for a while. If the model is correct, this shouldn't be happens.
Maybe I miss something in "Solid Mechanics" or the problem is the Mesh?
Please if somebody has experience with this kind of problems, give me advice what is wrong or is missing in my model.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
IB

1 Reply Last Post Feb 20, 2014, 6:01 a.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 20, 2014, 6:01 a.m. EST
Please help
Please help

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.