Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat transfer liquid/solid inteface in the Glass of Water example

Eduardo Ramos Fernández

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

Im having trouble to adapt the example of the glass of water (Heat transfer module/Tutorial Models/cold_water_glass) that comes with Comsol. What I want to do is to set the temperature of the water to be hotter than the ambient and the glass too, and then let it cool. For that I did the following:

1) Change the Initial conditions for the fluid and the glass to set the proper temperatures
2) Eliminate the Temperature boundary condition at the bottom and letting it be an insulated boundary (like if the glass was set on some kind of insulating material.

What happens to occur is that convection seems not to be effective at all. The liquid at the top of the glass cool slower than liquid that is closer the bottom. Im using the rest of the simulation the same it comes by default. For 10 min of simulation the temperature is just about 25 K lower at the bottom of the fluid and just the same at the top of it.

Any idea why convection is not working properly? It is so extrage to me that the glass is cooling faster at the bottom when that boundary is thermally insulated.

Thanks in advance,

Eduardo

0 Replies Last Post Feb 28, 2014, 2:49 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Eduardo Ramos Fernández

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.