Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat Transfer in air

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all

I used comsol 42 from two years ago to calculate some quantities in Fluid Flow.

Now I would like obtain the curve T = T(t) of a material in air, where T is the temperature (K) of the material and t the time (s) for a metallic cylinder made of silver : L(length) = 50 cm and R(radius) = 10 cm embedded in an infinite medium made of air. The initial temperature of the cylinder is 60 K and the temperature of the exterior air media is 20 K. I consider only the radiative losses.

Unfortunately, I feel that the solution of this problem can not be solved with comsol.
I am very surprised that no indication is given in the guides for a such classical problem !

Could you give me a model to help me to solve this problem ? Any helps to configure the GUI with the Heat Transfer module ?

Thank you

1 Reply Last Post Mar 17, 2014, 8:09 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 17, 2014, 8:09 a.m. EDT
Hello Claire,

If you consider only radiations, you can consider that air is transparent.
You can draw a silver cylinder in 2d axy and apply surface to ambient radiation losses with an external temperature of 20K. Initial temperature of the silver 60K. Check your material properties.

Compute with a time dependent solver.

Julien
Hello Claire, If you consider only radiations, you can consider that air is transparent. You can draw a silver cylinder in 2d axy and apply surface to ambient radiation losses with an external temperature of 20K. Initial temperature of the silver 60K. Check your material properties. Compute with a time dependent solver. Julien

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.