Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3D SPF Convergence Issues

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm working on a 3D model in an attempt to simulate water waves in a tank generated by a sinusoidal pressure source. I've been able to create an otherwise equivalent 2D model which works, and have since then translated it into a 3D model, which doesn't always work. The 3D model works properly for low frequency and low amplitude pressure inputs, but beyond about 20 Hz, it fails. This suggested to me that I should increase the resolution of the mesh, though this did not appear to resolve my problem and significantly increases memory usage. I was able to avoid using too much memory by switching to a mapped mesh and using an iterative solver, though my model still didn't converge.

So I was hoping that someone here would be able to look at my model and make suggestions as to how I could improve it. I have uploaded two iterations of the model here: drive.google.com/file/d/0B2i7BRvuGZI5VnYyaFpSUVVCREU/edit?usp=sharing
cap3d_ale_40Hz_20Pa.diverge.mph is a model which I have most recently been working on, and still doesn't work.
drive.google.com/file/d/0B2i7BRvuGZI5MUZQSmZvUVI0VTA/edit?usp=sharing
cap3d_ale.mph is the model I initially made which works at low frequencies and pressures.
Finally, I have linked a working 2D model:
drive.google.com/file/d/0B2i7BRvuGZI5dkx1bnFfNkN5SjA/edit?usp=sharing
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Michael Deakin

0 Replies Last Post Mar 24, 2014, 11:43 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Michael Deakin

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.