Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

error during meshing

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

Can you please suggest me how to solve intersecting face element error and failed to generate mesh for a particular domain ?
This is the error message am getting:
Finalized geometry has 21 domains, 188 boundaries, 390 edges, and 230 vertices.
Mesh error (ftet1): Failed to generate mesh for domain.
Mesh warning (ftet1): Edge is much shorter than the specified minimum element size.
Mesh warning (ftet1): Face is (or has a narrow region that is) much smaller than the specified minimum element size.
Mesh warning (ftet1): The specified minimum element size (0.0468) is too large to resolve the geometry.
Saved file: human bodynw8.mph

with regards
Suruchi Singh

5 Replies Last Post Jun 26, 2017, 9:09 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 25, 2014, 6:58 p.m. EDT
You did not mention your COMSOL version, so I assume it is 4.4.

It appears you have a geometry with edge and/or face features too small to properly mesh. I have seen this when importing geometries from third-party software, but I assume it can happen with COMSOL's geometry features.

First check the geometry to see if it has an improper mating or other cause of small faces. If unsuccessful in finding or correcting this, try one of the Defeaturing and Repair operations in the geometry node, or perhaps one of the Virtual Operations. When this has happened to me, it was trial and error to find the operation that did the trick.

--
Steven Conrad, MD PhD
LSU Health
You did not mention your COMSOL version, so I assume it is 4.4. It appears you have a geometry with edge and/or face features too small to properly mesh. I have seen this when importing geometries from third-party software, but I assume it can happen with COMSOL's geometry features. First check the geometry to see if it has an improper mating or other cause of small faces. If unsuccessful in finding or correcting this, try one of the Defeaturing and Repair operations in the geometry node, or perhaps one of the Virtual Operations. When this has happened to me, it was trial and error to find the operation that did the trick. -- Steven Conrad, MD PhD LSU Health

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 26, 2014, 2:59 a.m. EDT
Thanks Steven for your reply.

I am using comsol 4.3b and have imported cad file of human body for my model file.I am not able to solve error during meshing.Will you please help me to solve it?I am trying to attach my comsol model file but its not happening.

with regards,
Suruchi Singh
Thanks Steven for your reply. I am using comsol 4.3b and have imported cad file of human body for my model file.I am not able to solve error during meshing.Will you please help me to solve it?I am trying to attach my comsol model file but its not happening. with regards, Suruchi Singh

Posted: 7 years ago Jun 21, 2017, 1:43 p.m. EDT
Hi,
Sorry to interrupt you but have you solved the problem you mentioned above? Because I have the same problem~
Thanks,
Daisy
Hi, Sorry to interrupt you but have you solved the problem you mentioned above? Because I have the same problem~ Thanks, Daisy

Posted: 7 years ago Jun 25, 2017, 11:54 p.m. EDT
I'm also having the same problem please advise

thanx
I'm also having the same problem please advise thanx

Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Jun 26, 2017, 9:09 a.m. EDT
Hello,
With regards to meshing questions, we always suggest that you upgrade to the latest version of the software first. The original questions here were from version 4.3b, and we have have made several (very!) significant improvements in our meshing over the last few versions. And we anticipate that there will be even more improvements in upcoming versions :-)
Of course, not all geometries will always mesh perfectly, and the first thing that we would recommend (to either resolve the issue or to highlight the problematic part of the geometry) is to use partitioning:
www.comsol.com/blogs/improving-your-meshing-with-partitioning/
That is, subdivide your geometry and mesh the subdivided domains individually. This will either fix the issue, or usually, highlight the problematic area so that it is clear what the issue is.
Best Regards,
Hello, With regards to meshing questions, we always suggest that you upgrade to the latest version of the software first. The original questions here were from version 4.3b, and we have have made several (very!) significant improvements in our meshing over the last few versions. And we anticipate that there will be even more improvements in upcoming versions :-) Of course, not all geometries will always mesh perfectly, and the first thing that we would recommend (to either resolve the issue or to highlight the problematic part of the geometry) is to use partitioning: https://www.comsol.com/blogs/improving-your-meshing-with-partitioning/ That is, subdivide your geometry and mesh the subdivided domains individually. This will either fix the issue, or usually, highlight the problematic area so that it is clear what the issue is. Best Regards,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.