Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Set Stefan condition manually

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm currently struggling with stefan problem and want to implement the stefan condition L(V.n)=Kl grad(T).n-Ks grad(T).n manually on the Solid/Liquid interface. L is latent heat, V is interface velocity.

I figured out there could be 2 possible ways:
(1) HT in liquid with solid subnode defined in this physics;
(2) 2 HTs, one is HT in solid and the other is HT in liquid and set;

for (1), since the default continuity condition assigns Kl grad(T).n-Ks grad(T).n=0, how to override this to add the latent heat term?

for (2) Do I need to define temperature and flux for both HTs in their boundary settings?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!

4 Replies Last Post Apr 3, 2014, 11:44 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 1, 2014, 2:13 a.m. EDT
Hello,

I have never met your problem and have not checked for a solution, but for (1), what about using 'Form Assembly' instead of 'Form Union' in order to break continuity at the interface solid/liquid?

Benjamin
Hello, I have never met your problem and have not checked for a solution, but for (1), what about using 'Form Assembly' instead of 'Form Union' in order to break continuity at the interface solid/liquid? Benjamin

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 1, 2014, 9:33 a.m. EDT

Hello,

I have never met your problem and have not checked for a solution, but for (1), what about using 'Form Assembly' instead of 'Form Union' in order to break continuity at the interface solid/liquid?

Benjamin

Thank you, Benjamin. I also got to know that in 'Form Union' geometry, the temperature and flux continuity is default, so I used 'Form assembly'.
Now my problem is how to impose the stefan condition Ks*ht2.ntflux_u-Kl*ht2.ntflux_d+speed*nx*Lm on the solid/liquid interface. The model in 4.3b is attached and the S/L interface is assumed to be fixed here.

Appreciate any suggestion.

[QUOTE] Hello, I have never met your problem and have not checked for a solution, but for (1), what about using 'Form Assembly' instead of 'Form Union' in order to break continuity at the interface solid/liquid? Benjamin [/QUOTE] Thank you, Benjamin. I also got to know that in 'Form Union' geometry, the temperature and flux continuity is default, so I used 'Form assembly'. Now my problem is how to impose the stefan condition Ks*ht2.ntflux_u-Kl*ht2.ntflux_d+speed*nx*Lm on the solid/liquid interface. The model in 4.3b is attached and the S/L interface is assumed to be fixed here. Appreciate any suggestion.

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 2, 2014, 2:10 a.m. EDT
If I were you, I would try to add an 'heat flux' sub-node in the node 'continuity' to override the thermal insulation at the interface liquid/solid. There, you can specify q0 regarding to your needs.

Not sure if it could work in your case. Keep me informed, I am interested.
If I were you, I would try to add an 'heat flux' sub-node in the node 'continuity' to override the thermal insulation at the interface liquid/solid. There, you can specify q0 regarding to your needs. Not sure if it could work in your case. Keep me informed, I am interested.

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 3, 2014, 11:44 a.m. EDT

If I were you, I would try to add an 'heat flux' sub-node in the node 'continuity' to override the thermal insulation at the interface liquid/solid. There, you can specify q0 regarding to your needs.

Not sure if it could work in your case. Keep me informed, I am interested.

Hello, Benjamin,

Thanks for your advise. Actually I've tried to override the thermal insulation in 'Continuity' node, but it is still a little confused to me because in the Assembly geometry form, the interface of Solid and Liquid actually contains both solid and liquid domain boundary. It seems to me I have to assign heat flux to these two boundaries respectively.

An alternative way to walk around is to assign a heat source (actually a heat sink) on the solid/liquid interface, the source value q=-rho*Lm*(Vx.nx+Vy.ny), rho is density, Lm is latent heat, Vx Vy are interface velocity. In this case, I just use Union geometry to take advantage of its default interface continuity setting. I guess it's less confused to use this method than the previous idea.

Pls point me out if I'm wrong.

Appreciate your help.

X. Cao
[QUOTE] If I were you, I would try to add an 'heat flux' sub-node in the node 'continuity' to override the thermal insulation at the interface liquid/solid. There, you can specify q0 regarding to your needs. Not sure if it could work in your case. Keep me informed, I am interested. [/QUOTE] Hello, Benjamin, Thanks for your advise. Actually I've tried to override the thermal insulation in 'Continuity' node, but it is still a little confused to me because in the Assembly geometry form, the interface of Solid and Liquid actually contains both solid and liquid domain boundary. It seems to me I have to assign heat flux to these two boundaries respectively. An alternative way to walk around is to assign a heat source (actually a heat sink) on the solid/liquid interface, the source value q=-rho*Lm*(Vx.nx+Vy.ny), rho is density, Lm is latent heat, Vx Vy are interface velocity. In this case, I just use Union geometry to take advantage of its default interface continuity setting. I guess it's less confused to use this method than the previous idea. Pls point me out if I'm wrong. Appreciate your help. X. Cao

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.