Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Transport of diluted species (Problem with catalyst pellet radius)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am modeling a catalyst pellet for fischer tropsch synthesis (43 species in the reaction). I have the model set up but it is converging only for small particle diameters (0.01mm) when ever I increase the particle radius, the concentration of one of the reactants become negative.

I tried increasing the surface concentration of the reactants but still I keep getting negative numbers at high particles radius values ( I have good results for 0.01 mm radius).

I know that there is a section in knowledge base dedicated to negative concentration profiles but I am working on an expired class kit license and I do not have access to the knowledge base.

I would really appreciate any help. ( I really need some help soon)

4 Replies Last Post Apr 7, 2014, 8:02 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 7, 2014, 5:21 a.m. EDT
Without seeing the model I can ask only:
1. Is it a steady-state or a time dependent problem?
2. Is there a diffusion boundary layer around the particle?

br
Lasse
Without seeing the model I can ask only: 1. Is it a steady-state or a time dependent problem? 2. Is there a diffusion boundary layer around the particle? br Lasse

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 7, 2014, 6:23 a.m. EDT
Hello Dr. Lasse,
My model is a stationary one. The is no diffusion boundary layer around the particle. In the model CO gets completely consumed towards the center of the particle and eventually becomes zero. As I increase the radius the concentrations become either zero or it throws "Undefined value found in the equation residual vector" error. I am attaching the model for 0.017 mm pellet which is working just fine with adaptive mesh refinement. I really appreciate your help.
Hello Dr. Lasse, My model is a stationary one. The is no diffusion boundary layer around the particle. In the model CO gets completely consumed towards the center of the particle and eventually becomes zero. As I increase the radius the concentrations become either zero or it throws "Undefined value found in the equation residual vector" error. I am attaching the model for 0.017 mm pellet which is working just fine with adaptive mesh refinement. I really appreciate your help.

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 7, 2014, 7:48 a.m. EDT
I looked at your model. It is terribly complicated, so it is difficult to see where the problem resides. Reaction-diffusion systems do not always have a steady solution, but may oscillate when the diffusion and reaction time constants couple in a suitable way. Naturally, an existing industrial chemical process cannot oscillate.

This is a lousy reply, I am sorry.

BR
Lasse
I looked at your model. It is terribly complicated, so it is difficult to see where the problem resides. Reaction-diffusion systems do not always have a steady solution, but may oscillate when the diffusion and reaction time constants couple in a suitable way. Naturally, an existing industrial chemical process cannot oscillate. This is a lousy reply, I am sorry. BR Lasse

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 7, 2014, 8:02 a.m. EDT
Thank you for your reply. But is there a way to limit the concentration to positive values?? I tried if(CO<0,esp,CO) as an initial condition for concentration of CO but still comsol gave me negative concentrations for CO.
Thank you for your reply. But is there a way to limit the concentration to positive values?? I tried if(CO

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.