Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modelling an Micro Thermal Enrergy Harvestor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good Evening , i am post graduate student of Thermal Engineering.I have some experience to COMSOL software(but not expert atleast). So now i am doing a project on Modelling a Micro thermal energy harvestor. The problem goes something like this , there is strip made up of bimetal ( material of high coefficient of thermal expansion{CTE} on one side and low CTE on other side attached to each other side by side). Bimetal acts as a Simply supported Beam instead of cantilever (attaching snapshot of structure). High CTE material side of the bimetal get in contact with a hot surface and got bend on other side(due to expansion) and strike on the surface of peizoelectric material that is placed next to it on the distance of few millimeters. And then by the natural convection the bimetal got cooled down and come back to its original position(i.e. in contact of the hot surface) and then cycle repeat. So conversion of energy goes like this : Thermal(of hot plate) to Mechanical (of bimetal) and then from Mechanical to Electrical(via piezoelectric material surface).

So now my question is which type of study or studies should i use in this analysis : Piezoelectric Devices + Heat Transfer in Solids or Something else which i am forgetting.
And also any tips for the my study will be much helpful as i am fighting with this problem for last three months.

Thank you so much for your time to understand my problem and then to reply.

0 Replies Last Post Apr 10, 2014, 2:18 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jatin Kashyap

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.