Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

pulsed RF ICP modelling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, all,

I am wondering if COMSOL is able to solve a pulsed RF ICP model or not , is there anybody got a example to show ?

Thanks for your attention

5 Replies Last Post May 6, 2014, 10:01 a.m. EDT
Luke Gritter Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 30, 2014, 10:47 a.m. EDT
Suidong,

Generally speaking, COMSOL should be able to solve pulsed ICP discharges in the same manner as continuous ICP discharges. To try it out, you can simply use the GEC ICP model in the Model Library and change the coil excitation to a suitable time-dependent function.

--
Luke Gritter
AltaSim Technologies
Suidong, Generally speaking, COMSOL should be able to solve pulsed ICP discharges in the same manner as continuous ICP discharges. To try it out, you can simply use the GEC ICP model in the Model Library and change the coil excitation to a suitable time-dependent function. -- Luke Gritter AltaSim Technologies

Posted: 1 decade ago May 1, 2014, 9:59 a.m. EDT
Hi, Luke,

thanks for your reply. I found the detailed pulse shape ( on-level, off level, rising time and falling time) some time causes the software time dependent solver diverged. Do you have similar experiences ?

Regards

Suidong
Hi, Luke, thanks for your reply. I found the detailed pulse shape ( on-level, off level, rising time and falling time) some time causes the software time dependent solver diverged. Do you have similar experiences ? Regards Suidong

Posted: 1 decade ago May 1, 2014, 11:32 a.m. EDT
Suidong,

I've never tried it with an ICP discharge, but in general such waveforms can cause difficulties for the time-dependent solver when the rise and fall times are orders of magnitude smaller than the on/off times. ICPs tend to have the most stable solution process of any type of plasma analysis, so I would expect that you should be able to obtain convergence, though you may need to modify the default solver settings or increase the rise/fall times.

--
Luke Gritter
AltaSim Technologies
Suidong, I've never tried it with an ICP discharge, but in general such waveforms can cause difficulties for the time-dependent solver when the rise and fall times are orders of magnitude smaller than the on/off times. ICPs tend to have the most stable solution process of any type of plasma analysis, so I would expect that you should be able to obtain convergence, though you may need to modify the default solver settings or increase the rise/fall times. -- Luke Gritter AltaSim Technologies

Posted: 1 decade ago May 6, 2014, 9:32 a.m. EDT
Luke,

Have you done SF6 plasma modelling before ? I need some help on setting up SF6 chemistry cross-section data.

Regards

Suidong
Luke, Have you done SF6 plasma modelling before ? I need some help on setting up SF6 chemistry cross-section data. Regards Suidong

Posted: 1 decade ago May 6, 2014, 10:01 a.m. EDT
Suidong,

I have not modeled SF6. LXCAT (fr.lxcat.net) has cross sections for SF6, which would be a good place to start. If you are solely interested in finding the conditions that produce breakdown, you need only to include SF6 in the model, and you can ignore any other species that may be produced in the discharge. If you require a more detailed description of the plasma, you may also need to include other species (e.g. SF5, F, F2) and reactions between them. In any case, I recommend modeling a pure SF6 plasma before attempting to add any additional species.

--
Luke Gritter
AltaSim Technologies
Suidong, I have not modeled SF6. LXCAT (fr.lxcat.net) has cross sections for SF6, which would be a good place to start. If you are solely interested in finding the conditions that produce breakdown, you need only to include SF6 in the model, and you can ignore any other species that may be produced in the discharge. If you require a more detailed description of the plasma, you may also need to include other species (e.g. SF5, F, F2) and reactions between them. In any case, I recommend modeling a pure SF6 plasma before attempting to add any additional species. -- Luke Gritter AltaSim Technologies

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.