Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Elastoplasticity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I want to define an elastoplastic behavior on Comsol. I choose the Solid Mechanics model in Structural Mechanics, but an Linear Elastic Material node is automatically generated in the Model Builder. I don't want the behavior to be linear but rather elastoplastic.

Thanks in advance !

10 Replies Last Post Aug 23, 2017, 8:50 a.m. EDT
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago May 1, 2014, 9:34 a.m. EDT
Imane,

Right-click Linear Elastic Material and select Plasticity – this will add subnode where you define Plasticity Model.

Regards,
Sergei
Imane, Right-click Linear Elastic Material and select Plasticity – this will add subnode where you define Plasticity Model. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 1 decade ago May 1, 2014, 9:56 a.m. EDT
Ok, but with that, the behavior will be linear in elastic phases, no ?
Ok, but with that, the behavior will be linear in elastic phases, no ?

Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago May 1, 2014, 12:50 p.m. EDT
Imane,

In Linear Elastic Material node you specify Young’s modulus and Poisson’s ratio. In Plasticity sub-node you specify yield stress and hardening data. If stress level is below yield stress, then material response will be elastic. If stress level exceeds yield stress, then material response will be plastic.

Regards,
Sergei
Imane, In Linear Elastic Material node you specify Young’s modulus and Poisson’s ratio. In Plasticity sub-node you specify yield stress and hardening data. If stress level is below yield stress, then material response will be elastic. If stress level exceeds yield stress, then material response will be plastic. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 7 years ago May 19, 2017, 7:42 a.m. EDT
Hi
But no "Plasticity" node appears when I right click on "linear elastic material node".
I have only solid mechanics module. Is this the reason? Do I have to buy other modules if I want to simulate plastic behaviour?
Thanks
Hi But no "Plasticity" node appears when I right click on "linear elastic material node". I have only solid mechanics module. Is this the reason? Do I have to buy other modules if I want to simulate plastic behaviour? Thanks

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago May 19, 2017, 8:48 a.m. EDT
Hello Farough,
It sounds like you have only the structural mechanics capabilities of the core COMSOL Multiphysics, not the Structural Mechanics Module.
You can check on that under File > Used and Licensed Products.
Best regards,
Jeff
Hello Farough, It sounds like you have only the structural mechanics capabilities of the core COMSOL Multiphysics, not the Structural Mechanics Module. You can check on that under File > Used and Licensed Products. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago May 19, 2017, 1:03 p.m. EDT
Jeff

Thanks for your message.

I believe I "have" the module, please see the photo attached.

Jeff Thanks for your message. I believe I "have" the module, please see the photo attached.

Posted: 7 years ago May 19, 2017, 1:47 p.m. EDT
Hello Farough,
You are right. What I forgot is that for the Plasticity node to appear you need not only the Structural Mechanics Module but also either one of the Geomechanics Module or Nonlinear Structural Materials Module (See www.comsol.com/products/specifications/structural-mechanics/).
Sorry for the confusion.
Best,
Jeff
Hello Farough, You are right. What I forgot is that for the Plasticity node to appear you need not only the Structural Mechanics Module but also either one of the Geomechanics Module or Nonlinear Structural Materials Module (See https://www.comsol.com/products/specifications/structural-mechanics/). Sorry for the confusion. Best, Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago May 19, 2017, 2:58 p.m. EDT
Thanks Jeff
Thanks Jeff

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 23, 2017, 8:40 a.m. EDT
is it possible to include plasticity somehow (by adding equations etc) without buying an additional module, ie: non-linear structural mechanics
is it possible to include plasticity somehow (by adding equations etc) without buying an additional module, ie: non-linear structural mechanics

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 23, 2017, 8:50 a.m. EDT
Depending on your skill level, it might be possible for you to do it on your own, but if what you want to implement is already in a module you're usually better off not reinventing the wheel.
Jeff
Depending on your skill level, it might be possible for you to do it on your own, but if what you want to implement is already in a module you're usually better off not reinventing the wheel. Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.