Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How can the assembly in Solidworks be edited after being imported into Comsol by Livelink?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I imported an assembly from Solidworks to Comsol using Livelink. I have a few questions as follows:

1. Where can I see and change the x, y, z position of the imported model? I want to add another block around the imported model, but I don't know the exact position of the imported model.
2. How can I separate 2 parts to do a parametric sweep? In the assembly there are two parts which move relative to each other. After importing, the assembly is a whole part. I want to do a parametric sweep between the two parts in position. First, I can't move them separately. Second, I can't edit the position. How can I separate all parts to edit and do a parametric sweep?

Could anyone help me with these? Thanks a lot!

Cheers,
Ruijun

3 Replies Last Post May 5, 2014, 11:52 a.m. EDT
Frank van Gool COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago May 1, 2014, 10:43 a.m. EDT
Dear Ruijun,

In COMSOL you can find the location of an object, or more specifically of a point as follows:
- Go to geometry
- change the entity selection to point
- select one point (only) of which you want to have the location
- go to the geometry tab in the ribbon, and choose "measure" (at the end of the ribbon)
- In the messages window you will get the x, y and z coordinate of that point

I attached a screenshot which shows where to find the buttons.

You second question on the assembly can be solved by splitting the object. In COMSOL we have objects, and these can be points, lines, surfaces and volumes. Even groups of these can be 1 object. If you want to do a move operation, you can do that on an object only, therefore you need to split an object before you can move only a part of it. The steps to take are:
- add a split operation (from conversions)
- select the assembly and built.
- This will split the assembly to separate objects for each volume, and allows move operations on separate volumes.
If you want to combine separate object to one object again, you can use the union operator.

I hope this answers your question.

Best regards,
Frank
Dear Ruijun, In COMSOL you can find the location of an object, or more specifically of a point as follows: - Go to geometry - change the entity selection to point - select one point (only) of which you want to have the location - go to the geometry tab in the ribbon, and choose "measure" (at the end of the ribbon) - In the messages window you will get the x, y and z coordinate of that point I attached a screenshot which shows where to find the buttons. You second question on the assembly can be solved by splitting the object. In COMSOL we have objects, and these can be points, lines, surfaces and volumes. Even groups of these can be 1 object. If you want to do a move operation, you can do that on an object only, therefore you need to split an object before you can move only a part of it. The steps to take are: - add a split operation (from conversions) - select the assembly and built. - This will split the assembly to separate objects for each volume, and allows move operations on separate volumes. If you want to combine separate object to one object again, you can use the union operator. I hope this answers your question. Best regards, Frank

Posted: 1 decade ago May 2, 2014, 9:57 a.m. EDT
Dear Frank,

Thank you very much for your reply!

I tried to convert the model to point. Then everything was gone with only a few points left. So do I need to convert them back? Thank you for your attached picture so I could easily find it.

I also tried the split operation. After that, under geometry I got a separate split component. But if I click the splited component, I still don't see where to edit the position of this component.

I attached a simple SolidWorks model and COMSOL model by importing the SolidWorks model. There are two bars. How can I do parametric sweep between these two bars in x, y and z?

I also added another big bar in COMSOL. How can I make the center of this big bar concentric with one of the bars imported from SolidWorks?

I appreciate if you could take a look at my model and give me some advice.

Best regards,
Ruijun
Dear Frank, Thank you very much for your reply! I tried to convert the model to point. Then everything was gone with only a few points left. So do I need to convert them back? Thank you for your attached picture so I could easily find it. I also tried the split operation. After that, under geometry I got a separate split component. But if I click the splited component, I still don't see where to edit the position of this component. I attached a simple SolidWorks model and COMSOL model by importing the SolidWorks model. There are two bars. How can I do parametric sweep between these two bars in x, y and z? I also added another big bar in COMSOL. How can I make the center of this big bar concentric with one of the bars imported from SolidWorks? I appreciate if you could take a look at my model and give me some advice. Best regards, Ruijun

Frank van Gool COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago May 5, 2014, 11:52 a.m. EDT
Dear Ruijun,

The convert to point operation converts your object to only the points. If you have an object that consists of several domains, you can use the split operation to separate them.

In your case the two solidworks blocks are separate to start with, so this is not needed.

For the placement of your big block, either you know what the location is of your object you created in solidworks, or you can find the coordiante with the measure tool. In this case take the average locations of the top-right and bottom-left point.

Parameterizing this might mean that you create a parameter which you use in the move operation. This parameter can then be "swept" in a parameter sweep.

Best regards,
Frank
Dear Ruijun, The convert to point operation converts your object to only the points. If you have an object that consists of several domains, you can use the split operation to separate them. In your case the two solidworks blocks are separate to start with, so this is not needed. For the placement of your big block, either you know what the location is of your object you created in solidworks, or you can find the coordiante with the measure tool. In this case take the average locations of the top-right and bottom-left point. Parameterizing this might mean that you create a parameter which you use in the move operation. This parameter can then be "swept" in a parameter sweep. Best regards, Frank

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.