Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

structured mesh around cylinder

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Comsol Community,
I try to set up a Comsol simulation for a fluid flow around a cylinder and I want to use a structured mesh.
Is it possible to create a structured mesh around the cylinder (e.g. like in the attached picture)?
What i tried until now is to use the Mapped mesh feature. I divided my Geometry in different areas. Meshing the areas away from the cylinder with a structured mesh is no problem. But the area around the cylinder can not be meshed with the Mapped Mesh tool because it does not allow embedded boundary's or holes in the domain.
Are there any suggestions how I can create such a map or how I have to treat the area around the cylinder to work with the mapped mesh tool?

Kind Regards,
Mathias Scholz

8 Replies Last Post May 28, 2014, 9:46 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago May 21, 2014, 8:32 p.m. EDT
You can simply subdivide the region near the hole into several pieces.
Jeff
You can simply subdivide the region near the hole into several pieces. Jeff

Posted: 1 decade ago May 22, 2014, 9:23 a.m. EDT
Thank you for the fast reply. Thats how it works. Sometimes the easy solutions are to simple to see them on my own.

Mathias
Thank you for the fast reply. Thats how it works. Sometimes the easy solutions are to simple to see them on my own. Mathias

Posted: 1 decade ago May 26, 2014, 12:11 p.m. EDT
So far I am quite satisfied with the structured mesh I have in my model right now. The only area I still want to improve is where the outer regions and the subdivided regions around the cylinder are connected. In this areas the boundary layers disappear. Is there a special tool or a simple adjustment I can make so that the boundary layers remain continuous through this area?
For better understanding of my problem I have attached my actual model file.
Thank you, Mathias
So far I am quite satisfied with the structured mesh I have in my model right now. The only area I still want to improve is where the outer regions and the subdivided regions around the cylinder are connected. In this areas the boundary layers disappear. Is there a special tool or a simple adjustment I can make so that the boundary layers remain continuous through this area? For better understanding of my problem I have attached my actual model file. Thank you, Mathias

Posted: 1 decade ago May 27, 2014, 3:57 a.m. EDT
How about this?
How about this?

Posted: 1 decade ago May 27, 2014, 9:48 a.m. EDT
Thank you for the effort and having a look at my model. But unfortunately I am not able to open the file you attached. I am using Comsol 4.3b and your file might be saved in a more recent version. Maybe you can just tell me what you have done to improve the mesh in this special areas?

Mathias
Thank you for the effort and having a look at my model. But unfortunately I am not able to open the file you attached. I am using Comsol 4.3b and your file might be saved in a more recent version. Maybe you can just tell me what you have done to improve the mesh in this special areas? Mathias

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago May 27, 2014, 10:37 a.m. EDT
Hi again Mathias,
You could subdivide your geometry so that there is a rectangular domain that runs the entire length of the channel at the top and at the bottom.
Jeff
Hi again Mathias, You could subdivide your geometry so that there is a rectangular domain that runs the entire length of the channel at the top and at the bottom. Jeff

Posted: 1 decade ago May 27, 2014, 4:29 p.m. EDT
Everything is made with one single mapped mesh but with 5 different distributions. Perhaps the attached files help you to see what I did.

Best
Lasse
Everything is made with one single mapped mesh but with 5 different distributions. Perhaps the attached files help you to see what I did. Best Lasse

Posted: 1 decade ago May 28, 2014, 9:46 a.m. EDT
Thank you Lasse and Jeff,
I think I combined both your solutions and now it looks really good.

Mathias

Thank you Lasse and Jeff, I think I combined both your solutions and now it looks really good. Mathias

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.