Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat Transfer in Solids+Solid Mechanics boundary conditions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to simulate the behaviour of optics components when being cooled down from 293K to 4K.I am using Solid Mechanics and Heat Transfer to Solids, where i am applying they temperature to all boundaries. I managed to get results, but am not quite satisfied yet. I am using a fixed constraint boundary condition on the surface where the part is being mounted - which isn't really correct, as this surface won't undergo any thermal contraction in the simulation. I have tried to work with a points(also edge)-fixed constraint condition, but they solution won't converge.

Thanks in advance,
Andi

1 Reply Last Post Jul 7, 2014, 2:28 a.m. EDT
Hinrich Arnoldt COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 7, 2014, 2:28 a.m. EDT
Hello,

do you solve in a stationary or time-dependent mode? As far as I can see the material will mainly contract; stresses will develop where this is not possible, i.e. at the fixed constraint. If you use a edge or point fixed constraint this will cause the material to contract everywhere except in this relatively low dimensional region. Therefore the solution contains an error and will return the message: not converged.
If you could send your model to the support, we could tell you more.

Best
Hinrich Arnoldt
Hello, do you solve in a stationary or time-dependent mode? As far as I can see the material will mainly contract; stresses will develop where this is not possible, i.e. at the fixed constraint. If you use a edge or point fixed constraint this will cause the material to contract everywhere except in this relatively low dimensional region. Therefore the solution contains an error and will return the message: not converged. If you could send your model to the support, we could tell you more. Best Hinrich Arnoldt

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.