Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solid mechanics/ Thermal expansion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I'm trying to simulate stress induced by thermal expansion (as a result from femtosecond laser).
- My geometry is simply just an ellipse placed inside a rectangle. (please see the attached)
- Material: LiNbO3 crystal
- I suppose the femtosecond laser will create a thermal effect within an elliptical shape, as a result from thermal expansion, the ellipse will swell and generate stress at the border.
- I will assume the volume change is deltaV/V = 5e-3
- My target is to establish a relationship between the stress and volume change caused by thermal expansion.

I'm a beginner.
I would very much appreciate it if you can help me sort this out.
Thank you
D.

2 Replies Last Post Jul 9, 2014, 4:32 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 9, 2014, 1:59 a.m. EDT
Hi Dat,

I think you forgot to upload the file. Please check.

Best regards,
Marwan
Hi Dat, I think you forgot to upload the file. Please check. Best regards, Marwan

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 9, 2014, 4:32 a.m. EDT
Maybe you can have a look in the model library, heat transfer module -> thermal stress -> surface resistor.
Maybe you can have a look in the model library, heat transfer module -> thermal stress -> surface resistor.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.