Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

'ec'-'ht' Multiphysics error and impractical outcome of Temperature distribution for a Power Cable

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all members,

There are 2 physical problems that I'm required to solve simultaneously;
1] the distribution of electrical current (due to an application of high-voltage)
2] the distribution of temperature

My model under analysis has a copper conductor (simulating a 500kV Cable) which is enclosed inside a cylinder having a top and bottom Torus. This complete arrangement is then enclosed inside SF6 gas chamber.
This complete equipment is a high-voltage component operating at 500kV and therefore I'm required to apply a voltage of 500kV to the top Torus and Ground to the bottom Torus of the Cylinder (and also high-voltage to the top boundary of copper conductor and Ground to the Cable bottom) for computing the Electric fields for the optimisation of this equipment.

However, when I apply this high-voltage, 500 kV to the copper conductor (of the cable, which is also a high voltage cable), COMSOL is looking at a very high current through the conductor resulting in a very high temperature.
As per my calculations, I have a rated current of 2621.4 A through the copper conductor (considering the cable thermal effects from the data sheet). The resistance (from the data sheet) is 1.848e-5 ohm. This gives a very small voltage of 48.44 mV (Ohm's law) which is correct because it is simply the voltage drop over the cable.
But how do I make COMSOL understand this effect and at the same time apply 500kV for simulating the electric fields to my equipment and hence get a realistic temperature distribution with the temperature difference being 30[degC] between the conductor and the ambience

Can anyone please suggest something on simulating this issue??
Many Thanks (in advance)

Kind regards
Tanumay Karmokar

0 Replies Last Post Jul 31, 2014, 6:08 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tanumay Karmokar

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.