Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

resonator displacement

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I want to simulate a mems device with comsol. I have a question about the displacement. In the 'Normal modes of a biased resonator--2D' model and ‘Frequency response of a biased resonator--2D’ model in MEMS module, for the same point, the displacement obtained from eigenfrequency study is different with that obtained form frequency domain. Why?

Another problem is the difference between 'linear elastic dielectric' and linear elastic material.

Thanks very much.

Best regards

1 Reply Last Post Aug 13, 2014, 8:27 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago Aug 13, 2014, 8:27 a.m. EDT
Eigenfrequency analysis gives you the eigenfrequencies and their respective eigenmodes. I do not know how the amplitudes are chosen in the eigenmodes that COMSOL calculates, but I use them only to find relative amplitudes between different parts of my geometry for that particular eigenmode. Only in frequency analysis is damping and the actual driving force taken into account properly to find the actual amplitude at all frequencies.
Eigenfrequency analysis gives you the eigenfrequencies and their respective eigenmodes. I do not know how the amplitudes are chosen in the eigenmodes that COMSOL calculates, but I use them only to find relative amplitudes between different parts of my geometry for that particular eigenmode. Only in frequency analysis is damping and the actual driving force taken into account properly to find the actual amplitude at all frequencies.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.