Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to create geometry with infinite dimension

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am new to comsol and start learning it. i want to design an environment filled with water (like pond). suggest me how to design it.

3 Replies Last Post Sep 12, 2014, 9:26 a.m. EDT

Posted: 10 years ago Sep 10, 2014, 8:25 a.m. EDT
Infinite dimensions are not possible without tricks since FEM requires the entire space to be divided into a finite number of elements.

Often you use some physical argument that allows to reduce the size of the geometry and provide a proper treatment of the changes, for instance introduction of borders or a coordinate transformation.

I imagine that you could use a finite piece with a periodic condition at the borders. But your problem is not very well described to be sure about this.
Infinite dimensions are not possible without tricks since FEM requires the entire space to be divided into a finite number of elements. Often you use some physical argument that allows to reduce the size of the geometry and provide a proper treatment of the changes, for instance introduction of borders or a coordinate transformation. I imagine that you could use a finite piece with a periodic condition at the borders. But your problem is not very well described to be sure about this.

Posted: 10 years ago Sep 12, 2014, 2:02 a.m. EDT
Dear Martijn how we can introduce coordinate transformation.
Dear Martijn how we can introduce coordinate transformation.

Posted: 10 years ago Sep 12, 2014, 9:26 a.m. EDT
It depends. What transformation are you looking for?
It depends. What transformation are you looking for?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.