Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Understanding the Convergence Plot, and 'Undefined Value in Equation Residual Vector'

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi guys,

1. I'm simulating a chemical reaction with 3 different physics, 2 transport with diluted species, and 1 coefficient form PDE, with flux term of 1 reaction species across. When I click on the compute button, I get one convergence plot. How can I identify which physics the convergence is for?

2. The simulation is cleared to run; that is, I'm getting a convergence plot. However, after some iterations which are monotonically increasing, I get an 'Undefined Value in Equation Residual Vector' error, citing that there were 3 degrees of freedom (kind of little), occurring at a random position along my reactor (not along boundaries, etc). Is this a case of unrefined meshing?

I have enclosed the convergence plot as well as the nature of my problem. Hope to hear your thoughts and opinions.

In addition, the current meshing that generated the convergence plot is enclosed.

2 Replies Last Post Oct 16, 2014, 8:48 a.m. EDT

Posted: 10 years ago Oct 16, 2014, 8:47 a.m. EDT
Very difficult to say anything conclusive, but it is clear that your problem is converging: the error is of the order of 10^19.

Your mesh is far too sparse for convective flow.
Very difficult to say anything conclusive, but it is clear that your problem is converging: the error is of the order of 10^19. Your mesh is far too sparse for convective flow.

Posted: 10 years ago Oct 16, 2014, 8:48 a.m. EDT
NOT converging!
NOT converging!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.