Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

diffrence is only supported for solids

Ghodsiehsadat Jahanmir

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,
can any body help me in this error in Comsol 4.3?

I got this error when I want to extrude some objects. The 3D geometry was the result of revolving a 2D asymmetric object that I want to make it half by extrusion.

Thanks a lot.

2 Replies Last Post Oct 21, 2014, 11:51 p.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 10 years ago Oct 21, 2014, 2:40 p.m. EDT
I've encountered this error before. Most of the time, it is telling you the truth. That is, you probably tried to execute a Boolean difference operation in 3D where at least one of the items involved was not a solid. One common error is for the user to unintentionally create a surface (not a solid) in 3D by extruding or revolving a curve (not an area) in 2D. The extruded or revolved object may look a lot like a solid in the graphical display, but it is really just a 2D surface, and then the code won't let you execute the difference operation on it. In that case, all you have to do is go back and make sure you extrude or revolve only true surfaces in 2D (to become solids in 3D), not just the edges (which become surfaces).

Another possibility is that your overall geometry is not actually being correctly resolved by the code, which can happen if you have small errors where points, edges, or surfaces were intended by you to be coincident, but were actually only very close, but not coincident. So take another look at your geometry and be especially wary of places where edges or surface come together tangentially, or where points are very very close together. If that is the case, modify the troublesome geometry so that the points, lines, or surfaces involved become either truly coincident or more widely separated.
I've encountered this error before. Most of the time, it is telling you the truth. That is, you probably tried to execute a Boolean difference operation in 3D where at least one of the items involved was not a solid. One common error is for the user to unintentionally create a surface (not a solid) in 3D by extruding or revolving a curve (not an area) in 2D. The extruded or revolved object may look a lot like a solid in the graphical display, but it is really just a 2D surface, and then the code won't let you execute the difference operation on it. In that case, all you have to do is go back and make sure you extrude or revolve only true surfaces in 2D (to become solids in 3D), not just the edges (which become surfaces). Another possibility is that your overall geometry is not actually being correctly resolved by the code, which can happen if you have small errors where points, edges, or surfaces were intended by you to be coincident, but were actually only very close, but not coincident. So take another look at your geometry and be especially wary of places where edges or surface come together tangentially, or where points are very very close together. If that is the case, modify the troublesome geometry so that the points, lines, or surfaces involved become either truly coincident or more widely separated.

Ghodsiehsadat Jahanmir

Posted: 10 years ago Oct 21, 2014, 11:51 p.m. EDT
Thank you very much.

But I did it Comsol 4.4 and it did not get any error. I mean the procedure was the same for both but I got that error in 4.3.
by the way thanks very much for your detailed response.
Thank you very much. But I did it Comsol 4.4 and it did not get any error. I mean the procedure was the same for both but I got that error in 4.3. by the way thanks very much for your detailed response.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.