Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Release from Grid Issues

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to release a single particle at a fixed point defined by parameters (xpos, ypos, zpos), but it wont let me. It gives me:

"Unknown variable name.

- Name: xpos
- Parameter: x0 (x) "

I don't understand how to get this work. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Richard

5 Replies Last Post Apr 24, 2015, 5:32 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Richard Thai

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 22, 2015, 6:13 a.m. EDT
Richard
Did you find a solution to this. I have the same problem with the Mathematical Particle Tracing Module.
Matthew
Richard Did you find a solution to this. I have the same problem with the Mathematical Particle Tracing Module. Matthew

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 22, 2015, 7:16 a.m. EDT

Richard
Did you find a solution to this. I have the same problem with the Mathematical Particle Tracing Module.
Matthew

Hi Matthew,

I never did find a solution to this problem. I switched to using SIMION for particle tracing, which I thought was much better because I could write scripts. (release from location, change particle properties during flight, other customizable properties).

Richard
[QUOTE] Richard Did you find a solution to this. I have the same problem with the Mathematical Particle Tracing Module. Matthew [/QUOTE] Hi Matthew, I never did find a solution to this problem. I switched to using SIMION for particle tracing, which I thought was much better because I could write scripts. (release from location, change particle properties during flight, other customizable properties). Richard

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 22, 2015, 7:24 a.m. EDT
I've raised it as a support case with Comsol as this would be a serious limitation. I've also used SIMION in the past it is good for charged particle simulations but Comsol is general should be more versatile
I've raised it as a support case with Comsol as this would be a serious limitation. I've also used SIMION in the past it is good for charged particle simulations but Comsol is general should be more versatile

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 22, 2015, 7:40 a.m. EDT
If you find out, please let me know!
If you find out, please let me know!

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 24, 2015, 5:32 a.m. EDT
Info from Comsol support:

22 April 2015
I have heard back from the development team. Any input field in the
Particle Tracing Interfaces that can accept a list of numerical values will
generate this error. These types of entries can be identified by the
'range' icon that can be observed next to the input field. As you have
identified, you must restrict the input to a single value or lists of
numerical values. All other input fields in the interfaces will accept
parameters. The development team are aware of the issue and are working on
a resolution.

24 April 2015
Thank you for your comments, which we have added to a number of existing
requests for this functionality. Our development team will aim to
incorporate this functionality in a future release.
Info from Comsol support: 22 April 2015 I have heard back from the development team. Any input field in the Particle Tracing Interfaces that can accept a list of numerical values will generate this error. These types of entries can be identified by the 'range' icon that can be observed next to the input field. As you have identified, you must restrict the input to a single value or lists of numerical values. All other input fields in the interfaces will accept parameters. The development team are aware of the issue and are working on a resolution. 24 April 2015 Thank you for your comments, which we have added to a number of existing requests for this functionality. Our development team will aim to incorporate this functionality in a future release.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.