Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

CFD -turbulent flow

Dionysios-Konstantinos Neofytos

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
I would like to insret in a tank-pipe model a velocity function that starts from 30m/s goes to 60m/s 90m/s and so on until 300 m/s. I was trying with step fnction but I didnt manage it. I am new at comsol so any help is very welcome.

Thank you in advance.

with regards
Dionisios

1 Reply Last Post Nov 4, 2014, 8:44 p.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago Nov 4, 2014, 8:44 p.m. EST
There are two approaches depending on your needs and the stability of your model.

If you need only stationary results at each of these values and your model is well-behaved, then set up a Parametric Sweep. This will allow you to define your set of values (e.g. 30, 60, ...). The model will be solved at each value.

If you need the time-dependent solver, for example if you need to change your boundary condition slowly if convergence is difficult, then you can set up an Analytical function consisting of the sum of smoothed step or Heaviside functions (e.g. flc2hs), each with an offset and rise interval that will allow you to create a series of plateau values connected by smooth transitions, corresponding to your values of 30, 60, etc.

I have used such a function before in one of my models. If you need, I can share it with you.

--
Steven Conrad, MD PhD
LSU Health
There are two approaches depending on your needs and the stability of your model. If you need only stationary results at each of these values and your model is well-behaved, then set up a Parametric Sweep. This will allow you to define your set of values (e.g. 30, 60, ...). The model will be solved at each value. If you need the time-dependent solver, for example if you need to change your boundary condition slowly if convergence is difficult, then you can set up an Analytical function consisting of the sum of smoothed step or Heaviside functions (e.g. flc2hs), each with an offset and rise interval that will allow you to create a series of plateau values connected by smooth transitions, corresponding to your values of 30, 60, etc. I have used such a function before in one of my models. If you need, I can share it with you. -- Steven Conrad, MD PhD LSU Health

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.