Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

difference between 'fpt.V' and 'fpt.vx'

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone:
I use the fluid particle tracing module(fpt) to calculate the trace.
I want to know the differences between the 'fpt.V'(particle belocity magnitude) and the fpt.vx,fpt.vy,fpt.vz(particle velocity,x,y,z component) .
AND also what is the difference between the particle velocity and the negative particle velocity?

In the fpt module,I added no force but the default color expression showed that the 'fpt.V'(particle belocity magnitude) is 14.901e-9. It puzzled me.

Best regards!

3 Replies Last Post Nov 7, 2014, 10:03 a.m. EST

Posted: 10 years ago Nov 6, 2014, 2:44 p.m. EST
particle position: q
particle position components: qx, qy, qz
fpt denotes "particle tracing for fluid flow"
particle velocity, x component: fpt.vx = comp1.qxt, where comp1 denotes "component 1"
particle velocity, y component: fpt.vy = comp1.qyt
particle velocity, z component: fpt.vz = comp1.qzt
fpt.V=sqrt(comp1.qxt^2+comp1.qyt^2+comp1.qzt^2+eps)
-DW
particle position: q particle position components: qx, qy, qz fpt denotes "particle tracing for fluid flow" particle velocity, x component: fpt.vx = comp1.qxt, where comp1 denotes "component 1" particle velocity, y component: fpt.vy = comp1.qyt particle velocity, z component: fpt.vz = comp1.qzt fpt.V=sqrt(comp1.qxt^2+comp1.qyt^2+comp1.qzt^2+eps) -DW

Posted: 10 years ago Nov 6, 2014, 8:31 p.m. EST
THANKS !
Why my vx=vy=vz=0 but fpt.V=14.901e-9? Because of the 'eps'?

And 'qxt' denotes qx * t ?
THANKS ! Why my vx=vy=vz=0 but fpt.V=14.901e-9? Because of the 'eps'? And 'qxt' denotes qx * t ?

Posted: 10 years ago Nov 7, 2014, 10:03 a.m. EST
Hello,

qxt means the derivative of x-component of the position (qx) with respect to time t.

BR
Mohamed
Hello, qxt means the derivative of x-component of the position (qx) with respect to time t. BR Mohamed

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.