Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Regarding coupling 3 physics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am simulating power cable exposed to natural convection, i.e. in air. I am using Joule Heating Physics which has by default Electric Currents and Heat Transfer in Solids. But when define current through conductor as Current Source the solver says that Relative residual (0.41) is greater than Relative tolerance. I tried Line Current Source, however, the same problem.
Also, since there is no Volume Force in Heat Transfer in Solids, how can I define Volume Force in my model? I tried to add Non-Isothermal Flow and Conjugate Heat Transfer to define Volume Force but the solution does not converge with 3 physiscs. Can you help me how to properly couple 3 physics?
Thanks!

Regards,
Akim

2 Replies Last Post Nov 7, 2014, 3:56 p.m. EST

Posted: 10 years ago Nov 7, 2014, 9:54 a.m. EST
Hello,

May be the busbar tutorial will be useful for modeling your problem. You can find the tutorial here:
www.comsol.com/shared/downloads/IntroductionToCOMSOLMultiphysics.pdf
Page: 46
Hope this helps

BR
Mohamed
Hello, May be the busbar tutorial will be useful for modeling your problem. You can find the tutorial here: http://www.comsol.com/shared/downloads/IntroductionToCOMSOLMultiphysics.pdf Page: 46 Hope this helps BR Mohamed

Posted: 10 years ago Nov 7, 2014, 3:56 p.m. EST
Hi Mohamed,

Thank you for your response! Unfortunately bus bar model assumes there is no cooling or any heat transfer to an ambience, however, my main goal is to simulate heat transfer by natural convection, in other words I have to include free air flow. Therefore, I believe I must add 3rd physics which has to be either Non-Isothermal Flow or Conjugate Heat Transfer in order to define Volume Force, Inlet and Outlet.
Moreover, bus bar model uses voltage to assign heat source while in my case current has to impressed to the conductor.

Best,
Akim
Hi Mohamed, Thank you for your response! Unfortunately bus bar model assumes there is no cooling or any heat transfer to an ambience, however, my main goal is to simulate heat transfer by natural convection, in other words I have to include free air flow. Therefore, I believe I must add 3rd physics which has to be either Non-Isothermal Flow or Conjugate Heat Transfer in order to define Volume Force, Inlet and Outlet. Moreover, bus bar model uses voltage to assign heat source while in my case current has to impressed to the conductor. Best, Akim

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.