Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling LiIon Battery Load Cycles

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I've been working with the lithium ion battery module quite a bit, and I keep running into the same problems - load cycle discontinuities are making the solver spit out errors left and right. I've tried numerous measures to resolve these problems, and I'm having some difficulty.

Right now I am working with the capacity fade model from the Comsol model gallery. The study within this model falls flat on its face if you try to see the results at say, 20 cycles instead of the default 10. The discontinuity in the load cycle seems to be to blame. It uses a global equation and the events interface to load the battery. I want to keep this intelligent loading - it is necessary to accurately measure capacity fade. However, I have been completely unable to implement smoothing in the global equation.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

0 Replies Last Post Nov 7, 2014, 10:44 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Corey Zusin

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.