Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Inconsistent units in a hyperelastic material model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to create a user defined hyperelastic material model. For the isochoric strain energy density (Wsiso) I defined two different terms, Wf and Wm in the following way:

Wf = (1/2)*(c1/c2)*(exp((c2*(sqrt(i4)-1)^2))-1)

Wm = (u/2)*(i1-3)-u*log(sqrt(i3))

c2, i4, i1, and i3 are unitless

c1 and u have the unit [MPa]

In the variable section I can see that COMSOL displays Wf as having the unit [Pa] (which is expected) but Wm has the unit [m]. Since Wsiso = Wf+Wm, I get a error message saying "Inconsistent unit" because Wf is in pascal and Wm is in meters.

It surprises me that Wm is in meters since it only contains the variables u [Mpa] and i1, i3 [unitless]. Looking at the equation the expected unit would be [Pa].

Can anyone help me with this problem

Thanks in advance,
Brynjar

2 Replies Last Post Nov 14, 2014, 9:21 a.m. EST
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago Nov 13, 2014, 12:43 p.m. EST
Hi,

Try renaming the variable 'u'. It seems like you have a conflict with the X-displacement 'u' which has unit [m].

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, Try renaming the variable 'u'. It seems like you have a conflict with the X-displacement 'u' which has unit [m]. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 10 years ago Nov 14, 2014, 9:21 a.m. EST
Thank you Henrik, it worked!

Regards,
Brynjar
Thank you Henrik, it worked! Regards, Brynjar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.