Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mode shapes for a 3D cylindrical structure in 4.3b

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a couple of questions about a model of an open-ended simply-supported cylinder I'm running to get eigenfrequencies to compare to values I calculated analytically for the same structure. I've gotten some really good matching frequencies (<1% difference), but I'm curious about COMSOL's results.

When I look at the 3D plot of each eigenfrequency, I see that the n mode counts (axial wavelengths) match my analytical values exactly. The m mode counts (circumferential half-waves), however, vary wildly and randomly. Out of 100 calculated eigenfrequencies in the range of 340 - 2500 Hz, only 3 results have the same m value as the analytical.

1) Is there any explanation for this?

The closely-matched frequencies came from a structural/solid model, with prescribed displacement to emulate simply-supported. I had run a shell with pinned boundary conditions, but the eigenfrequencies didn't match up with my analytical.

2) Is there a way to get a list or table of the m & n values for each eigenfrequency? Looking at each plot & counting is really tedious.

Thank you for any assistance with this,
Rebecca

0 Replies Last Post Dec 8, 2014, 6:07 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Rebecca Clemens

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.