Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

complex refractive index convention in COMSOL waveoptics module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
Can anybody help me to know what is the correct convention of extinction coefficient of refractive index in COMSOL?. I want to assign polystyrene complex refractive index. I have values at 3.4 um wavelength n=1.59 and k=0.0294 (absorption). which one is correct one to represent in comsol to assign PS absorption? 1.59+i*0.0294 or 1.59-i*0.0294?. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Mahendar

1 Reply Last Post Jan 28, 2015, 5:05 a.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago Jan 28, 2015, 5:05 a.m. EST
Hi again,

I got some info from COMSOL following link. if k<0, lossy medium and k>0, medium with gain

www.comsol.co.in/support/knowledgebase/1009/

Hi again, I got some info from COMSOL following link. if k0, medium with gain http://www.comsol.co.in/support/knowledgebase/1009/

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.