Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Varying Geometric Dimension

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am a new user to COMSOL and I am currently doing some acoustic modeling on simple geometries (eigenfrequency analysis)...

I was wondering if there is a straight-forward way to vary a single dimension within my model geometry during the solution process so that I may find its unknown optimal value with respect to my desired frequency.

I have currently been creating separate models with increments in the dimension previously described, which has proven to be quite time consuming...

Thanks Much,

-Jon

4 Replies Last Post Jun 17, 2010, 1:31 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 11, 2010, 4:41 p.m. EDT
Hi Jon,

You can define the geometric parameter you want to vary as a global variable and then use the parametric sweep.
Alternatively, you can use Matlab to create a script and just run your simulation through a for loop, which can be more difficult to do, but is possible.

Best Regards
Hi Jon, You can define the geometric parameter you want to vary as a global variable and then use the parametric sweep. Alternatively, you can use Matlab to create a script and just run your simulation through a for loop, which can be more difficult to do, but is possible. Best Regards

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 16, 2010, 5:06 p.m. EDT

You can define the geometric parameter you want to vary as a global variable and then use the parametric sweep.

Chris,

How would you construct a geometry with a dimension that didn't have a definate value?

Also, would this cause problems with the mesh, or does COMSOL automatically compensate the mesh for a variable dimension?

Regards,

-Jon

[QUOTE] You can define the geometric parameter you want to vary as a global variable and then use the parametric sweep. [/QUOTE] Chris, How would you construct a geometry with a dimension that didn't have a definate value? Also, would this cause problems with the mesh, or does COMSOL automatically compensate the mesh for a variable dimension? Regards, -Jon

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 16, 2010, 5:34 p.m. EDT
I found in the COMSOL User's Guide (3.5a) that geometric parametric sweeps are enabled if you have licences for the CAD Import Module and SolidWorks or Autodesk Inventor.

I'm assuming that it will take the initial geometric value from the imported models and then vary them.

I am wondering if there is any other way this can be done without interfacing with other programs, including MATLAB.

I found in the COMSOL User's Guide (3.5a) that geometric parametric sweeps are enabled if you have licences for the CAD Import Module and SolidWorks or Autodesk Inventor. I'm assuming that it will take the initial geometric value from the imported models and then vary them. I am wondering if there is any other way this can be done without interfacing with other programs, including MATLAB.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 17, 2010, 1:31 a.m. EDT
Hi

There are basically two ways, the one yu refer to is making SolidWorks (or inventro or the CAD software) to interact with COMSOL, such that COMSOL can change parameters to change the geometry (without chnginf the topology = no new lost boundaries) and you loop around.

This can also be done with MATLAB an you pilot the geometry of COMSOL commands

Another way is to use the mesh deformations and refer to a deformed mesh. There are several examples around, seaarch on the forum, and in the model examples on the COMSOL web site. There is somewhere a goo example of a I beam optimisation. Thi method does not require any CAD interface

Have fun COMSOLING
Ivar
Hi There are basically two ways, the one yu refer to is making SolidWorks (or inventro or the CAD software) to interact with COMSOL, such that COMSOL can change parameters to change the geometry (without chnginf the topology = no new lost boundaries) and you loop around. This can also be done with MATLAB an you pilot the geometry of COMSOL commands Another way is to use the mesh deformations and refer to a deformed mesh. There are several examples around, seaarch on the forum, and in the model examples on the COMSOL web site. There is somewhere a goo example of a I beam optimisation. Thi method does not require any CAD interface Have fun COMSOLING Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.