Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

modeling of a new viscoelastic material

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi ,

I want to model a viscoelastic material . I see in solidmechnics>linear elastic>viscoelastic there are 3 options available 1. generalized maxwell 2. Standard solid 3. kelvin voigt . But my model consists a series combination of generalized maxwell and a maxwell unit. How could i model this?
Thankyou.

6 Replies Last Post May 10, 2016, 11:05 a.m. EDT
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 12, 2015, 5:05 p.m. EDT
Dear Gaurav,

It’s not the easiest way but you can implement the viscoelastic material in COMSOL as ODEs (Ordinary Differential Equations). That gives you total control over the rheological network structure of the viscoelastic material. You have to derive the equations though. I will be presenting a paper showing how to do this in more details at the NAFEMS World Congress 2015 in June in San Diego.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Dear Gaurav, It’s not the easiest way but you can implement the viscoelastic material in COMSOL as ODEs (Ordinary Differential Equations). That gives you total control over the rheological network structure of the viscoelastic material. You have to derive the equations though. I will be presenting a paper showing how to do this in more details at the NAFEMS World Congress 2015 in June in San Diego. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 13, 2015, 3:06 a.m. EDT
Hi,

You can also do like this: Separate the second Maxwell unit into the spring and the damper. By some algebra, you can move the spring into the Generalized Maxwell material by changing the material properties.

Now you have a modified Generalized Maxwell material in series with only a damper. But a damper is a special case of pure creep, so you can then add a Creep node with either

a) Norton creep with exponent n=1

or

b) Deviatoric creep

to simulate that part.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, You can also do like this: Separate the second Maxwell unit into the spring and the damper. By some algebra, you can move the spring into the Generalized Maxwell material by changing the material properties. Now you have a modified Generalized Maxwell material in series with only a damper. But a damper is a special case of pure creep, so you can then add a Creep node with either a) Norton creep with exponent n=1 or b) Deviatoric creep to simulate that part. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 14, 2015, 8:59 a.m. EDT
Thankyou for the reply .
Thankyou for the reply .

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 14, 2015, 9:00 a.m. EDT
Thank you for the suggestion .
Thank you for the suggestion .

Posted: 8 years ago May 10, 2016, 8:10 a.m. EDT
Dear Dr. Elabbasi,

I am currently studying the modeling of viscoelastic material using COMSOL and like to do it without the structural module.

I was wondering whether you could share the paper that you model the viscoelastic material using ODEs node.

Thank you very much,

--
Bhagya

Dear Dr. Elabbasi, I am currently studying the modeling of viscoelastic material using COMSOL and like to do it without the structural module. I was wondering whether you could share the paper that you model the viscoelastic material using ODEs node. Thank you very much, -- Bhagya

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 8 years ago May 10, 2016, 11:05 a.m. EDT
Sorry Bhagya this is a client model that I cannot share beyond what was presented in the conference I mentioned above and at last year’s COMSOL Conference in Boston: www.comsol.com/paper/download/257801/elabbasi_presentation.pdf.
Sorry Bhagya this is a client model that I cannot share beyond what was presented in the conference I mentioned above and at last year’s COMSOL Conference in Boston: https://www.comsol.com/paper/download/257801/elabbasi_presentation.pdf.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.