Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mesh extend in V4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody,

does anybody know what's behind the mesh extend routine.
In some cases, the progress tab freezes with "Mesh Extend 100%", but the solver iterations don't start (although CPU power is consumed by the process) - and nothing changes for hours so that I have to kill the process.

Is it possibly a matter of mesh quality or number of mesh elements? My mesh is hexahedral with min mesh quality of ~3% and ~60,000 elements.
Is there anybody facing the same problems (I am using the Linux version of COMSOL)

Thanks!

2 Replies Last Post Jun 29, 2010, 8:23 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 29, 2010, 7:43 a.m. EDT
Hi

i havent noticed that so far (V4 windows and unix), but usually I mesh by hand first and I do not launch the solver before I'm happy with the quality. On the other hand V4 Windows and Unix I have difficulties to "stop" or cancel large iterative studies, they seem to continue for ever, and at least pass through all steps

Probabnly something to report to support too.

Good luck
Ivar
Hi i havent noticed that so far (V4 windows and unix), but usually I mesh by hand first and I do not launch the solver before I'm happy with the quality. On the other hand V4 Windows and Unix I have difficulties to "stop" or cancel large iterative studies, they seem to continue for ever, and at least pass through all steps Probabnly something to report to support too. Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 29, 2010, 8:23 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

that's the way I do it and I also know the problems stopping the solver. I think the mesh routine comes from using Multigrid method.

I think I got it. There was a problem with an old solution on a slightly different geometry. I cleared the solution and it works now.

Again thanks for your suggestions,
Marcel
Hi Ivar, that's the way I do it and I also know the problems stopping the solver. I think the mesh routine comes from using Multigrid method. I think I got it. There was a problem with an old solution on a slightly different geometry. I cleared the solution and it works now. Again thanks for your suggestions, Marcel

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.