Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Charge Source in Floating Capacitor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Alright here's what I'm struggling with: I want a capacitor that is isolated (not connected to any circuit). I want one plate to start with a certain amount of charge on it (coulombs) and the other plate grounded. Then I want to run a time dependent study and see how charge/voltage/electric field change as the capacitor discharges through the dielectric into ground (it is going to be a very slow).

I cant find any way to accomplish this with the electric currents or electrostatics interface. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks so much!

James

0 Replies Last Post Apr 15, 2015, 10:04 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello James Chinn

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.