Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Subdividing a Boundary in COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi COMSOL world!

I am a newbee and I tried looking in the Forums on how to subdivide an existing figure.
For example I have a circle in a simple 2D cartesian plane and would like subdivide the figure.
By default in the geometry section COMSOL subdivides a circle into 4 pieces I would like to have
12 pieces so that when the time comes to implement the boundary conditions it would be just perfect.
I also have the newest version of COMSOL 4.0a and I don't know how much it would change from other versions.

Please let me know.

I greatly appreciate your help in Advance!

Best regards,

Pablo

3 Replies Last Post Jul 7, 2010, 6:34 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 7, 2010, 4:57 p.m. EDT
what you can do is to intersect your geometry with lines, then use split (if they're solid then convert them to curves first).
what you can do is to intersect your geometry with lines, then use split (if they're solid then convert them to curves first).

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 7, 2010, 5:11 p.m. EDT
Daniel Tz,

Thank you very much! This is of great help!
I will try this ! Just to close this topic and for my future reference
can I assume that this process cannot be automated i.e given a circle
or any other 3D or 2D figure? I.e If I needed 100 segments I would
have to do the process you just described?
Luckily I only have to do 12 segments!

One more time , THANK YOU!!!!

Best regards,

Pablo
Daniel Tz, Thank you very much! This is of great help! I will try this ! Just to close this topic and for my future reference can I assume that this process cannot be automated i.e given a circle or any other 3D or 2D figure? I.e If I needed 100 segments I would have to do the process you just described? Luckily I only have to do 12 segments! One more time , THANK YOU!!!! Best regards, Pablo

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 7, 2010, 6:34 p.m. EDT
If you are using v4, you can actually define curves. So, I can draw a circle with as many segments as I like. Try drawing 3 point curves to see what I mean.
If you are using v4, you can actually define curves. So, I can draw a circle with as many segments as I like. Try drawing 3 point curves to see what I mean.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.