Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Undefined value found in the equation residual vector

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi. i met some problems during simulating a conjugate heat transfer problem. I tried to finer the mesh but it could not help. The detailed description is as following:
Undefined value found.
- Detail: Undefined value found in the equation residual vector.
There are 283 degrees of freedom giving NaN/Inf in the vector for the variable comp1.T.
at coordinates: (1.17089,3.35878), (1.16589,3.35878), (1.16839,3.35605), (1.17089,3.35333), (1.16589,3.35329), ...
- Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol1/s1)

thank you for your help

1 Reply Last Post Apr 26, 2015, 12:06 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago Apr 26, 2015, 12:06 p.m. EDT
Hi

I do not believe that error is a mesh issue, it's rather a missing or incomplete BC issue, you might have some Boundary Condition missing (Conjugated Heat Transfer means 3 Physics: fluid, solid and heat => you need enough BC's PER physics to solve all three!) and often your material properties do not have a T component or does have one but is not reading the correct T value ...

There are many causes. Often it helps to rebuild a simpler model and check it one physics at the time.
Just now I do not have access to my WS so I cannot open your model, so I can only guess

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not believe that error is a mesh issue, it's rather a missing or incomplete BC issue, you might have some Boundary Condition missing (Conjugated Heat Transfer means 3 Physics: fluid, solid and heat => you need enough BC's PER physics to solve all three!) and often your material properties do not have a T component or does have one but is not reading the correct T value ... There are many causes. Often it helps to rebuild a simpler model and check it one physics at the time. Just now I do not have access to my WS so I cannot open your model, so I can only guess -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.