Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Importing PCB into COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

I am trying to import a PCB file into COMSOL. I have the file in .pcb format, but I can generate the PCB in the odb++ format. COMSOL requires the new odb++(X) format. Does anybody know of a way that I can create a odb++(X) file from a odb++ file or from a pcb file? Or any other method that I can use to import my PCB into COMSOL?

Thanks

4 Replies Last Post Sep 22, 2009, 3:45 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 19, 2009, 5:58 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I know that COMSOL supports DXF import, but I dont think that this method provides any track width information.

Regards,
Tom
Hi, I know that COMSOL supports DXF import, but I dont think that this method provides any track width information. Regards, Tom

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 19, 2009, 9:41 a.m. EDT
Hi

I use the GDS from the "import ECAD" option, this works (mostly)

Good luck
Ivar
Hi I use the GDS from the "import ECAD" option, this works (mostly) Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 21, 2009, 10:07 a.m. EDT
Hi,

I've tried several simple test pcbs in ODB++(X), with almost no success at all. There is an article in the multiphysics blog to come (at least it was announced in the "Working with CAD" posting), and I am looking forward to that.

Best regards
Matthias
Hi, I've tried several simple test pcbs in ODB++(X), with almost no success at all. There is an article in the multiphysics blog to come (at least it was announced in the "Working with CAD" posting), and I am looking forward to that. Best regards Matthias

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 22, 2009, 3:45 a.m. EDT
I found a program that can convert gerber files to .gds. The problem is that it only works if I import the metal frame(does not work for whole 3D model). I think the problem is that there are so many different file formats that PCBs are saved in.
I found a program that can convert gerber files to .gds. The problem is that it only works if I import the metal frame(does not work for whole 3D model). I think the problem is that there are so many different file formats that PCBs are saved in.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.