Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

automatic point preparation / evaluation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I would like to evaluate a large number of points automatically. I have created all points manually and group them in a selection. In the evaluation (Point Evaluation) I choose the group and create a table with all values (e.g. Electric potential). Unfortunately, the order of the points is messed up. Is there a option to get the output in the same order like the points were created? It would also be nice if you can import the coordinates of all points from an Excel or CSV file and import them in Comsol and create all the points automatically.

I am very grateful for all of your help,

Best regards Thomas

4 Replies Last Post Jun 17, 2015, 5:35 a.m. EDT
Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 17, 2015, 2:35 a.m. EDT
You can use a cut point data set for this: It has support for taking the points to evaluate in from file, and I also think that it honors the point order in the file.
You can use a cut point data set for this: It has support for taking the points to evaluate in from file, and I also think that it honors the point order in the file.

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 17, 2015, 3:26 a.m. EDT
Hi Gunnar,

Thank you for your help, it worked ;)
Unfortunately, comsol save the values in columns. Is it possible to save the values like a csv file in rows?

(like:
Pos_1_X, Pos_1_Y, Pos_1_Z, Value_1
Pos_2_X, Pos_2_Y, Pos_2_Z, Value_2
Pos_3_X, Pos_3_Y, Pos_3_Z, Value_3
... )

With best regards,

Thomas
Hi Gunnar, Thank you for your help, it worked ;) Unfortunately, comsol save the values in columns. Is it possible to save the values like a csv file in rows? (like: Pos_1_X, Pos_1_Y, Pos_1_Z, Value_1 Pos_2_X, Pos_2_Y, Pos_2_Z, Value_2 Pos_3_X, Pos_3_Y, Pos_3_Z, Value_3 ... ) With best regards, Thomas

Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 17, 2015, 4:34 a.m. EDT
Thank you for your help, it worked ;)
Unfortunately, comsol save the values in columns. Is it possible to save the values like a csv file in rows?

I don't think that this is possible in a Point Evaluation feature. If your goal is to create a csv-file that contains (x, y, z, value)-tuples as rows, then you can created a Data export feature under Results > Export that uses the cut point data set.

[QUOTE]Thank you for your help, it worked ;) Unfortunately, comsol save the values in columns. Is it possible to save the values like a csv file in rows? [/QUOTE] I don't think that this is possible in a Point Evaluation feature. If your goal is to create a csv-file that contains (x, y, z, value)-tuples as rows, then you can created a Data export feature under Results > Export that uses the cut point data set.

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 17, 2015, 5:35 a.m. EDT
Hi Gunnar,

Super. It works, thank you very much.
That's exactly what I have been looking for.

Best regards

Thomas
Hi Gunnar, Super. It works, thank you very much. That's exactly what I have been looking for. Best regards Thomas

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.