Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Viewing mesh of an axisymmetric model in different planes

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm simulating diffusion from a hollow cylinder into a sphere, and am wanting to visualize the mesh in different planes. I'll call the view of the geometry I attached the r-theta plane in spherical coordinates. I was able to display the mesh in this plane just fine with the red center line being the axis of rotation. I also wanted to get a top down view of the mesh rotated, in the r-phi plane, but comsol threw errors when I tried to get a slice of the mesh in that plane. Is this top down view of the mesh is possible to get?

My initial thoughts are telling me it isnt, but I'm not very familiar with how comsol sets up axisymmetric models while still accounting for azimuthal variatons.

My current reasoning is that when axial symmetry is used comsol solves for multiple meshes that are slices of the r-theta plane at different phi values and then combines them and interpolates along the phi direction if necessary to account for any aziumthal variations. As a result there isn't a mesh going in the phi direction, which would explain why I'm getting errors when trying to view the mesh in the r-phi plane.

Any comments on whether this view of the mesh is possible would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Craig

1 Reply Last Post Jul 13, 2015, 7:03 a.m. EDT
Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago Jul 13, 2015, 7:03 a.m. EDT
My current reasoning is that when axial symmetry is used comsol solves for multiple meshes that are slices of the r-theta plane at different phi values and then combines them and interpolates along the phi direction if necessary to account for any aziumthal variations. As a result there isn't a mesh going in the phi direction, which would explain why I'm getting errors when trying to view the mesh in the r-phi plane.

When axial symmetry is used, there is only one mesh, and it's for the r-z-plane. This suffices as the equations that are solved are formulated based on the assumption of axial symmetry.

[QUOTE]My current reasoning is that when axial symmetry is used comsol solves for multiple meshes that are slices of the r-theta plane at different phi values and then combines them and interpolates along the phi direction if necessary to account for any aziumthal variations. As a result there isn't a mesh going in the phi direction, which would explain why I'm getting errors when trying to view the mesh in the r-phi plane.[/QUOTE] When axial symmetry is used, there is only one mesh, and it's for the r-z-plane. This suffices as the equations that are solved are formulated based on the assumption of axial symmetry.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.