Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

frequency domain study of a heat transfer model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone.

I am new to comsol, it would be appreciated if someone helps me. I want a frequency domain study analysis of a heat transfer model. Is there an easy way in comsol to do this.?

Basically I have a dielectric resonator antenna DRA, I perform thermal simulation using Heat transfer model analysis to analyze the effect of ambient temperature on the surface of DRA over certain period of time. Now I want to saw the radiation pattern and S11 parameters of antenna, that what is the effect of temperature on the radiation pattern of antenna.?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies Last Post Aug 7, 2015, 8:23 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago Aug 6, 2015, 8:47 a.m. EDT
Hi

The Thermal modelling "COMSOL Physics" has not been set up for thermal frequency domain analysis, still it's possible, but you must tweak the physics and the solvers by hand, somewhat tedious but makable.

But normally, the heat diffusivity is such that the penetration depth of the diffusing heat "wave" is really small, so it has some meaning only for nano-technology, or MEMS, certainly not for dimensions more usual for us humans.

I have done it recently, somewhere, but in V5, I would need some days to dig my model out again. Support might help you quicker.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi The Thermal modelling "COMSOL Physics" has not been set up for thermal frequency domain analysis, still it's possible, but you must tweak the physics and the solvers by hand, somewhat tedious but makable. But normally, the heat diffusivity is such that the penetration depth of the diffusing heat "wave" is really small, so it has some meaning only for nano-technology, or MEMS, certainly not for dimensions more usual for us humans. I have done it recently, somewhere, but in V5, I would need some days to dig my model out again. Support might help you quicker. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago Aug 7, 2015, 12:46 a.m. EDT
Thanks for Your Reply.

But there is a physics in Comsol 4.4, named "Microwave heating" when I add this physics into my model, it adds Electromagnetic waves frequency domain and heat transfer in solids as well. I want to ask about this, that how to study this combination of physics, or how to set up a model with this combination of physics.?
Thanks for Your Reply. But there is a physics in Comsol 4.4, named "Microwave heating" when I add this physics into my model, it adds Electromagnetic waves frequency domain and heat transfer in solids as well. I want to ask about this, that how to study this combination of physics, or how to set up a model with this combination of physics.?

Posted: 9 years ago Aug 7, 2015, 8:23 a.m. EDT
Check on the online model library for the waveguide heating example . There are also some videos online demonstrating this as well. These will give you examples of how to proceed. I always find it better that if you choose microwave heating, get the RF part working first. You can disable the heat physics in the study.
Check on the online model library for the waveguide heating example . There are also some videos online demonstrating this as well. These will give you examples of how to proceed. I always find it better that if you choose microwave heating, get the RF part working first. You can disable the heat physics in the study.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.