Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Creating mesh in 3D geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to mesh the particular geometry as attached here. Its giving me error saying 'mesh of linking face must be structured quad mesh'. Can anyone help me with this?

1 Reply Last Post Aug 28, 2015, 2:04 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago Aug 28, 2015, 2:04 a.m. EDT
Hi

you are asking for a topology incompatibility, like asking for a triangle with 4 corners, which is not possible!

I see two ways around:

a) either you replace the "Free Triangular" surface/boundary mesh by a "Free quad", and keep your mapped mesh for the three top branches boundaries, and then you sweep the full geometry once

b) you map the three branches top boundary, i.e. with a Distribution sub node for the 3 edges at the pentagon intersection region. Then you sweep these three branches through leaving the pentagon intersection region unmeshed. You then add a Mesh - More Operations - Convert node and select the three surfaces interfacing the pentagon region to the three branches. And finally you add a "Free Tetahedral" mesh for the remaining (pentagonal prism intersection region

Meshing is really "playing" with the geometry :)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you are asking for a topology incompatibility, like asking for a triangle with 4 corners, which is not possible! I see two ways around: a) either you replace the "Free Triangular" surface/boundary mesh by a "Free quad", and keep your mapped mesh for the three top branches boundaries, and then you sweep the full geometry once b) you map the three branches top boundary, i.e. with a Distribution sub node for the 3 edges at the pentagon intersection region. Then you sweep these three branches through leaving the pentagon intersection region unmeshed. You then add a Mesh - More Operations - Convert node and select the three surfaces interfacing the pentagon region to the three branches. And finally you add a "Free Tetahedral" mesh for the remaining (pentagonal prism intersection region Meshing is really "playing" with the geometry :) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.