Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Best module for thin metal film optics?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everyone:

Comsol seems to have many different modules and ways to simulate the same thing, so I'm hoping the community can point me towards the best path for my application.

I'd like to simulate the optical properties of a stack of materials, including thin film metals and lossy dielectrics. I'm not interested in geometric effects- just reflectance, transmittance and absorption in the various layers. The layer stack will vary in thickness from much less than the wavelength of light or interest to significant fractions or multiples thereof.

So, whats the best module for my application?

thanks,
Andrew

3 Replies Last Post Sep 1, 2015, 12:31 p.m. EDT
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago Sep 1, 2015, 12:14 p.m. EDT
Andrew,

You can use either RF (emw) or Wave Optics (ewfd) interfaces to solve reflectance/transmittance/absorption problem – see examples

www.comsol.com/model/fresnel-equations-rf-12407
and
www.comsol.com/model/fresnel-equations-wave-optics-14713

RF and Wave Optics are mostly identical, except that Wave Optics has additional interface for Beam Envelopes (ewbe) not available in RF.

Regards,
Sergei
Andrew, You can use either RF (emw) or Wave Optics (ewfd) interfaces to solve reflectance/transmittance/absorption problem – see examples http://www.comsol.com/model/fresnel-equations-rf-12407 and http://www.comsol.com/model/fresnel-equations-wave-optics-14713 RF and Wave Optics are mostly identical, except that Wave Optics has additional interface for Beam Envelopes (ewbe) not available in RF. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 9 years ago Sep 1, 2015, 12:22 p.m. EDT
Hey Sergei:

Thanks for the response.

I actually went through the fresnel equations tutorial yesterday and couldn't get it to work. The error messages didn't give me enough to figure out what was wrong though it appears to be a problem with the ports.

thanks,
Andrew

Hey Sergei: Thanks for the response. I actually went through the fresnel equations tutorial yesterday and couldn't get it to work. The error messages didn't give me enough to figure out what was wrong though it appears to be a problem with the ports. thanks, Andrew

Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago Sep 1, 2015, 12:31 p.m. EDT
Andrew,

Attached is working mode for three layer structure and comparison to analytic solution.

Regards,
Sergei
Andrew, Attached is working mode for three layer structure and comparison to analytic solution. Regards, Sergei

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.