Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Reducing computation time of model by splitting about symmetry plane - help needed

Sathya Sai Seetharaman

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am doing a model where I want to compute the eigen solutions of a system of two coupled split-rings at different separation distances. In order to reduce computation time, i have split the system in half about the symmetry plane (the plane that would cut the rings in half about the splits). So the PML is halved too. I have built this model in geometry, added materials of the system (assuming rings made of copper, don't want PEC for this model as I want to make comparison with my experiments), assigned far-field scattering, impedance boundary and other necessary conditions to model. The problem is that I am unable to choose the outermost boundaries of PML to "Scattering Boundary Condition" as they display 'Not Applicable'.
(1) Can someone please help me fix this issue by explaining what I did wrong?
(2) Is there a symmetry condition that I need to add to the model to let COMSOL know that I have split the model only to reduce computation time?
Please find the model attached. Thank you in advance.

2 Replies Last Post Sep 2, 2015, 4:45 a.m. EDT
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago Sep 1, 2015, 6:54 p.m. EDT
You don't seem to have included the PML domains in your computational space. In the Model Builder, if I click on the Electromagnetic Waves, Frequency Domain (emw) there, all it shows is domain number 3.
You don't seem to have included the PML domains in your computational space. In the Model Builder, if I click on the Electromagnetic Waves, Frequency Domain (emw) there, all it shows is domain number 3.

Sathya Sai Seetharaman

Posted: 9 years ago Sep 2, 2015, 4:45 a.m. EDT
Hi Robert,
Thank you for your response.
Edited response: After you mentioned it, I clicked Electromagnetic Waves, Frequency Domain (emw) and under Domain Selection, I chose 'All Domains'. Now all the domains are included and I am able to choose Scattering Boundary Condition. I'll post again if I run into any other issues. Thank you once again.
Regards,
Sathya.
Hi Robert, Thank you for your response. Edited response: After you mentioned it, I clicked Electromagnetic Waves, Frequency Domain (emw) and under Domain Selection, I chose 'All Domains'. Now all the domains are included and I am able to choose Scattering Boundary Condition. I'll post again if I run into any other issues. Thank you once again. Regards, Sathya.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.