Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Individual maximum of multiple slices

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In my model I'm trying to find the maximum value of each of my several slices. However, I cannot figure out how to do this neatly. The most basic and time consuming method would be to create a number of slices in my geometry through workplanes and partitions. Then I'd need one max function for each of my created slices. Then I'd have to create one surface plot per slice in a 3D plot group.

That's a huge pain. I have a Cut Plane 3D solution set which I can plot and it shows up the way I want, but without any math function applied.

Is it possible to create a function where I pass the surface I want evaluated as one of my parameters? Or anything like that?

1 Reply Last Post Sep 10, 2015, 11:31 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago Sep 10, 2015, 11:31 a.m. EDT
For anybody who still cares:

I ended up having to create a boundary (either through workplane partitioning or creating a small cylinder and ignoring one of the boundaries) with a variable position and doing a parametric sweep of that boundary. It isn't an ideal solution because the entire simulation has to be rerun between sweeps, whereas all the information is technically there after a single simulation and you are basically storing the same information multiple times, increasing the file size.

The other option would be to create multiple boundaries and create a maximum coupling operator for each boundary. This is a pain because for each boundary you will also need to create a separate plot, as opposed to the previous method where you can just pick the parameter value from a drop-down menu.
For anybody who still cares: I ended up having to create a boundary (either through workplane partitioning or creating a small cylinder and ignoring one of the boundaries) with a variable position and doing a parametric sweep of that boundary. It isn't an ideal solution because the entire simulation has to be rerun between sweeps, whereas all the information is technically there after a single simulation and you are basically storing the same information multiple times, increasing the file size. The other option would be to create multiple boundaries and create a maximum coupling operator for each boundary. This is a pain because for each boundary you will also need to create a separate plot, as opposed to the previous method where you can just pick the parameter value from a drop-down menu.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.