Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solving scattered field for two semi-infinite material

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I am now simulating plane wave incident on a air-water interface from air side. The two materials are both semi-infinite. PML and periodic condition is used in this case. It's like PML(air)->air->water->PML(water). The plane wave is written as exp(j*n*k*z) in the background field, where z is the propagation direction and n the refractive index. What confuses me is that suppose n=1, the air case, it will have reflection inside the water. The PML doesn't absorb the wave in the water. And of course in this case it will have reflection in the air. After changing n=1 to n=1.33 for the plane wave, everything is correct, only reflection in the air and no reflection in the water. Why I have to use refractive index from water to get the correct solution?

And if the situation is opposite, i.e. PML(water)->water->air->PML(air) and plane wave propagates from water side, I have to use n=1 to get correct solution. Does anyone know how this works?

Thanks,
Li-Fan

0 Replies Last Post Sep 11, 2015, 5:45 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Li-Fan Yang

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.