Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Maximum number for groups

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone:

I have a model that I am running on a Linux 64-bit cluster, and I am trying to decrease computation time. I am new to cluster computing, so please forgive my ignorance.

I am running a parametric job through comsol batch (v.4.0a). Under the parametric settings window, there is an option to "Distribute Parameters" and limit the number of groups. This documentation notes that if the problem is too large to run on a single node, I can enable the "Maximum number of groups" so that the same parameter is solved by several nodes (I think) simultaneously.

Could someone please tell me what is meant by "Maximum number of groups"? Do I need to limit it to 1, or increase to some other value to decrease number crunching time?

And is there a better way to speed up model solver by taking advantage of multiple nodes than using this option?

Thanks for your help.

Todd

FYI - I am trying to run the model on 5 nodes with 24 processors on each, but it doesn't seem to be solving any faster that with 1 node and 24 processors.

0 Replies Last Post Sep 8, 2010, 11:57 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Todd Bandhauer

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.